Wuzz Up Peeepz!

kia ora koutou katoa...kaua e wareware me tuhia o koutou korero whakaaro i runga i toku BLOGGER..!

Gidday...dont forget to write your comments/thoughts in please..

Followers

Wednesday 13 April 2011

Tamariki Tutu? Mischievous Children?





Kei te hautu matou? Are they mishcievous?


Notice

Today I put our old radio, an old type writer and our new radio at the children's level for the first time and no sooner I had done this the children gravitated to it straight away.  I could tell by the body and noise expressions of the children that they were fasinated. Turning the nobs, playing with buttons, pressing the speakers, laughing and dancing as the music played.  I watched and observed the children so that there was no fighting over the radio.  "Kei te aha koutou? What are you doing?" I asked the tamariki . "radio, radio!"  One of the children replied excitingly. "kanikani, dancey dancey" one other child answered.  "Ae, kanikani, yes dancing" I replied.  When the older radio was displayed for the children, only one child took notice of it but did not interact with it.

Recognize

Even though the children's curiosity of the radio has sparked an interest  with other children and I recognise that because the new radio had more nobs and other buttons to interact with I realized that the new radio provided more interaction.  This created a learning opportunity for other teachers to look into by emerging children's own interests and curiosity with older types of technologies such as old typewriters.  

Te Whariki (1996) supports the children where 'toddlers are given opportunities to make choices, and their decisions are respected. p51.   Ministry of Education (1996) also states, that the programme is built on the cursiosity of the child.  Where children are to do things in their own particular way when this is appropriate. Children develop skills and experience an environment where children learn with some technology. p69. 


Respond

Therefore, I will endeavour to provide more opportunities for children's learning to have more access to other technologies such as glue guns and irons, microphones and computer access as we only have these type of resources and tools available in the young children's area. I will discuss with other colleagues about the implementation of the iron and glue gun as these resources are in the preschool area.  Also to take ratio into consideration to make sure we have our numbers covered because of the hazards with glue guns and irons are  type of resources where the safety of the child would be at risk.  Having all the team on board will make planning activities more easier.  

Te Whariki (1996) states "Adults need to raise toddlers’ awareness about what is safe and what is harmful and the probable consequences of certain actions".   Adults are alert to possible hazards and vigilant over what is accessible, or can be climbed on, and toddlers are encouraged to recognise genuine hazards.p.53.



Therefore having a risk management in place for any unforeseen circumstance that may arise such as burning or scalding, being aware of all hazards that may arise.  Also making sure management are aware of certain activities, so that the programme is running smoothly and staffing is adequate.  This in the long term will improve our practice and the quality experiences that we may have in the centre. Dalli (1999) .

references:


Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki, he whaariki mātauranga mo nga mokopuna o Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media

Dalli, Carmen. (1999). Early Childhood Leadership and Management. Creating the positive.  Institute of Studies Victoria University of Wellington.


2 comments:

  1. Wow Faith this is a really great entry.
    I really admire how you empower your children and let them play with the c.d. player. Children are often viewed as ‘too young’ to use technology like this when actually if you show them how to use it correctly and let them fiddle with it, they figure out how the technology works very quickly and easily. It is also good for the children’s self esteem and mana. When a child is told they are not allowed to touch equipment and that they will break it must make them feel like they’re not very good. I still remember the day my mum taught me how to use the VCR machine. I was only three but she trusted me and empowered me to do it for myself. I was always so proud after then that I never needed any help to watch a video because I was a big girl and could do it by myself.
    I like how you are also aware of safety and ratios when it comes to equipment like glue guns. Although I strongly believe that children should be allowed to assess these kinds of tools it can also be dangerous and caution is needed.
    Well done Faith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora Faith,

    After reading your post I realised that safety came in my head that is the policy's that are coming up. But in real life, children that young, are exploring and uses their sense to make connection it reminds me of the maori concept on tuakana and teina that in this learning there is shared learning, children with peers and with adults and we all become so involved in the child and make a great impact in their lifes. And it is all part of growing and providing a safe environment for children especially with small objects, just as long that there is staff to monitor and to be good advocates then children that young age should have access to technology its all the wonders of learning.
    Kia ora mate.

    ReplyDelete